Work on I-91, I-95 at Connecticut Q Bridge done early
The Associated Press
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Commuter traffic at the start of the work week along I-95 and I-91 in New Haven should be a little easier than initially expected with construction at the Q Bridge.
Work on the highways southbound was completed on Sunday instead of Monday, when it was expected to finish. Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and federal, state and local officials marked the opening of the southbound lanes at a ceremony Monday.
I-95 southbound traffic had to be shifted onto temporary I-95 lanes of the new Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge, allowing demolition of the old Q Bridge. Officials last year opened the northbound side of the Q Bridge.
The Q-Bridge section of I-95 is one of the most heavily traveled areas of the Northeast Corridor between New York and Boston, with 120,000 vehicles crossing daily, more than three times the number it was designed for, Malloy said.
"Anyone who travels this route during rush hour knows to expect a frustrating bottleneck that delays weekday commutes and slows commerce," he said. "Ahead of schedule and on budget, this project will go a long way toward modernizing our transportation infrastructure, encouraging new business investment, enhancing our economic competiveness as a state and improving road conditions and safety along this busy stretch of highway."
Construction of a new 10-lane Q-Bridge to replace the existing bridge crossing over New Haven Harbor is the centerpiece of a $2 billion project. Other work includes reconstruction of the I-95/I-91/Route 34 Interchange, additional lanes along 7.2 miles of I-95 northbound and southbound between New Haven and Branford and transit improvements to Shore Line East.
The project is expected to be finished in 2016.
staff can be reached to comment on this article at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find more news and analysis from The Trucker, and share your thoughts, on Facebook.