WASHINGTON — PR News this week named Trucking Moves America Forward a finalist for the 2016 Platinum PR Award. Each year, PR News' Platinum PR Awards honors top public relations campaigns ranging from crisis management and social media to word-of-mouth marketing. The finalists for the Platinum PR Awards set industry standards for excellence across all areas of PR.
The key goals of the 2015 TMAF communications campaign included enhancing the public's awareness of the industry's essentiality and safety, showcasing pride within the trucking community, raising $1 million to support image marketing and grassroots advocacy campaigns, and increasing membership and member engagement.
The campaign employed marketing, advertising, media relations and digital strategies to meet those goals, including:
• Telling the stories of truck drivers who log millions of accident-free miles each year
• Reaching out to lawmakers to advocate for a long-term highway bill
• Humanizing truck drivers as friends, family and neighbors with a critical job to do, and
• Elevating trucking industry pride and positioning TMAF as the vehicle to show that pride.
The strategic approach consisted of engaging the member database through digital distribution of TMAF updates and marketing materials; developing op-eds with American holidays for news hooks and placing them in publications across the country; creating effective social media content and videos; implementing targeted ad campaigns to engage lawmakers and the motoring public; and adding an e-commerce section to www.truckingmovesamerica.com. The campaign results that led to TMAF's recognition, included the following:
• Member Database: TMAF increased its e-mail membership database to 2,100, encouraging visitors to subscribe via the website and download helpful materials, and
• Media Coverage: TMAF distributed news through press releases and secured coverage in 50 media outlets, including 26 op-eds in local publications.
In digital communications 2015 was an exceptional year for TMAF in the digital space, including:
• Facebook: A 199 percent increase in fans and more than 2 million impressions
• Twitter: A 118 percent increase in followers and more than 1 million impressions
• Videos: TMAF filmed and produced a series of videos highlighting industry professionals' personal pride in their jobs, their safety records, and the importance of trucking to the U.S. economy, and
• Paid Advertising: TMAF implemented two targeted advertising buys in 2015. A lawmaker campaign yielded 165,870 impressions in print ads, a click-through rate of 0.15 percent on website-banner ads, and nearly 1 million impressions from 26 radio spots; a consumer campaign during NTDAW reached a total circulation of more than 1.5 million readers in major daily newspapers.
Story Partners, a Washington-based public relations firm that manages the advertising, marketing and digital communications for TMAF, submitted the entry. The winners in each Platinum PR Award category will be announced on October 19 in New York City.
The Trucker staff can be reached to comment on this article at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find more news and analysis from The Trucker, and share your thoughts, on Facebook.