FULLERTON, Calif. — Yokohama Tire Corporation will spotlight two new tires at the upcoming Mid-America Trucking Show (MATS) at the Kentucky Expo Center in Louisville, Ky., March 31-April 2. The new tires are the RY407 wide base single trailer tire and the prototype 702 drive tire.
According to Rick Phillips, Yokohama’s director of commercial sales, a preview version of the RY407 was on display last year at MATS. “Now it’s in production and available in limited quantity. It’s also just been named a ‘SmartWay’ tire by the EPA, meaning it’s recognized as a low rolling resistance tire,” said Phillips.
The RY407 super single, size 445/50R22.5, offers excellent fuel efficiency as well as a weight savings potential for fleets, said Phillips. “There’s less weight because there’s one tire and wheel assembly instead of two. And because of its unique design and construction we expect the RY407 to be a very durable and retreadable product.”
Highlights of the ultra-wide tread RY407 are:
• Better durability and less casing fatigue thanks to an advanced profile.
• New, high-tech compounds for improved fuel efficiency.
• A zero-degree mid-belt that distributes the load evenly, lessens running distortion and has a more consistent footprint.
• Straight grooves for enhanced wet traction and cross sipes for wear resistance.
“MATS attendees definitely need to come by the booth to see the prototype 702, which utilizes Yokohama’s renowned Zenvironment technology,” said Phillips. “It’s going to be the most fuel efficient drive tire on the market. The 702 will be available in the U.S. in early 2012 in 295/75R22.5 and 11R22.5. It has a very sleek appearance and is totally unique. It looks more like a brawny steer tire than a drive tire.”
Highlights of the 702 are:
• Low rolling resistance and superior fuel economy, thanks to the new compound using Zenvironment technology.• Unique drive tire tread design.• Solid shoulder rib and serpentine grooves for extra rigidity and stability.
• Yokohama’s patented Stress Control Groove that redistributes the shoulder load to prevent step down wear.
• Z Block design to improve wet traction and lower rolling resistance.
Yokohama Tire Corporation is the North American manufacturing and marketing arm of Tokyo, Japan-based The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., a global manufacturing and sales company of premium tires since 1917. Servicing a network of more than 4,500 points of sale in the U.S., Yokohama Tire Corporation is a leader in technology and innovation. The company’s complete product line includes the dB Super E-spec™ – the world’s first tire to use orange oil to reduce petroleum – as well as tires for high-performance, light truck, passenger car, commercial truck and bus, and off-the-road mining and construction applications. For more information on Yokohama’s extensive product line, visit www.yokohamatire.com.
Yokohama is a strong supporter of the tire care and safety guidelines established by the Rubber Manufacturers Association and the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration. Details can be found at the “Tire Safety” section at www.yokohamatire.com.
Dorothy Cox of The Trucker staff may be contacted to comment at email@example.com.
Find more news and analysis from The Trucker, and share your thoughts, on Facebook.