LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Yokohama Tire Corp. has introduced a new tire for its Zenvironament line called the 101ZL commercial tire.
Yokohama revealed the tire to the commercial market during the Mid-America Trucking Show under way here.
The 101ZL is a premium long-haul steer tire, that, according to John Cooney, Yokohama director of commercial sales, “runs longer, and is more trouble-free and efficient than anything we’ve ever brought to the market. The 101ZL provides at least a 10 percent increase in overall tread life and significant resistance to irregular wear.”
The tire has been added to the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) SmartWay list of verified technologies for tires.
Yokohama now has seven tires that are recognized as SmartWay “low rolling resistance tires.”
Cooney said the 101ZL features “incredible durability, excellent longevity and remarkable fuel efficiency.
“It’s the perfect addition to our Zenvironment line, which uses cutting-edge technology to produce truck tires that last longer and are more fuel efficient, thus helping to protect the environment.”
The other tires in Yokohama’s Zenvironment line are the 703ZL, 103ZR and 501ZA.
The 101ZL will be available in October 2010 in four sizes: 295/75R22.5, 11R22.5, 11R24.5 and 285/75R24.5. Cooney said highlights of the new tire include:
• Zenvironment construction, which controls casing growth and greatly reduces strain energy in the shoulder and bead areas for low rolling resistance and better fuel efficiency.
• Contact pressure equalizer sipes that optimize rib contact pressure to resist uneven wear and improve wet weather braking and handling.
• Stress equalizer ribs that increase road contact at the shoulder’s edge, which is ideal for withstanding step-down wear.
• Serpentine grooves which add rigidity to the shoulder for greater tear resistance.
• Multiple sipes that create an ideal footprint for optimal rib edge contact pressure that helps to eliminate irregular wear.
The 101ZL joins the 103ZR and RY617 steer tires, RY587 and RY587MC2 trailer tires, and 703ZL and TY517MC2 drive tires as products that are verified for use on SmartWay-certified trucks.
“The tires meet the SmartWay program’s tough verified low rolling resistance criteria, which include running cooler and helping to reduce fuel consumption, which in turn cut costs and benefit the environment.
For more information, visit www.yokohama.com.
The Trucker staff can be reached to comment on this article at firstname.lastname@example.org.