Yokohama to roll out trio of new commercial tires at MATS
A Yokohama officials said the 902L tire feature an advanced rubber compound that lowers rolling resistance and reduces heat build-up, which boosts fuel economy.(Courtesy: YOKOHAMA TIRE CORP.)
The Trucker News Services
Yokohama Tire Corp. will roll out a trio of new commercial tires at the Mid-America Trucking Show.
The 902L and 709L ultra wide base drive tires will be on display and a new coach/bus tire, the 104ZR Spec-2, will be unveiled.
“The theme of our booth at Mid-America was ‘Defining the Future,’” said Rick Phillips, Yokohama senior director, commercial and OTR sales. “New products like those we introduced at the show will play a big part in our future, especially with the October 2015 opening of our new commercial tire plant in Mississippi.”
Ultra wide base (UWB) tires such as the 902L and 709L are part of YTC’s long-term plan, according to Phillips.
“We’re seeing more of a demand for them because of the weight savings, which is where fleets can find an immediate benefit. It’s something tangible – they can measure and calculate savings.
“The 902L long-haul/regional ultra wide base drive tire delivers superior traction and high mileage and its tread design makes a real difference in extreme driving conditions, such as in snow and ice.”
The 902L comes in size 445/50R22.5.
• A 27/32 tread depth that creates higher traction while providing extra-long treadlife.
• An advanced rubber compound that lowers rolling resistance and reduces heat build-up, which boosts fuel economy.
• Seven circumferential grooves that enhance lateral stability and create long wear with an even footprint.
• A zero-degree mid belt that provides weight distribution for even pressure and increased treadlife.
• A specially-engineered small block and sipe combo that reduce heel-toe wear, increase fuel economy and provide high snow traction.
“The 709L will be available at the end of the year in size 445/50R22.5,” said Phillips. “It’s built for long wear and fuel efficiency, thanks to its advanced rubber compound. Plus, its special casing enhances durability for retreading.”
The 709L on-highway ultra wide base drive tire features:
• Seven serpentine grooves that reduce tread movement, add rigidity and decrease rolling resistance.
• Double Z blocks that increase rigidity to prevent heel-toe wear for a long-, even-lasting tire life while increasing wet and snow traction.
• A 24/32 tread depth that decreases tread block movement for stability, low rolling resistance and increased fuel efficiency.
• A zero-degree mid belt that provides even pressure and weight distribution for increased treadlife and an even footprint.
Yokohama Tire Corp. is the North American manufacturing and marketing arm of Tokyo, Japan-based The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., a global manufacturing and sales company of premium tires since 1917. For more information on Yokohama’s extensive product line, visit yokohamatire.com.
The Trucker staff can be reached to comment on this article at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find more news and analysis from The Trucker, and share your thoughts, on Facebook.