ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Six professional truck drivers — three company drivers and three owner-operators — have been chosen as finalists in the Truckload Carriers Association’s 2018 Driver of the Year contest.
The six will now compete for the grand prize in each division.
The finalists were selected based on their ability to operate safely on public highways, their efforts to enhance the public image of the trucking industry, and their contributions to the communities in which they live, TCA officials said.
Esach grand prize winner will receive $25,000, while the two runners-up in each division will win $2,500.
Finalists in the Company Driver of the Year competition include:
2018 Company Driver of the Year Contest finalists:
- Don Lewis of Republic, Missouri, who drives for Wilson Logistics of Springfield, Missouri.
- David McGowan of Marinette, Wisconsin, who drives for WEL Companies of De Pere, Wisconsin.
- Ester Nemeth of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, who drives for Bison Transport also of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Finalists in the Owner-Operator of the Year competition include:
- Danny Jewell of Nebraska City, Nebraska, who is leased to Warren Transport of Waterloo, Iowa.
- Kevin Kocmich of Litchfield, Minnesota, who is leased to Diamond Transportation System of Racine, Wisconsin.
- Robert Roth of Coldwater, Ontario, Canada, who is leased to Erb International of New Hamburg, Ontario, Canada.
“Each one of our finalists is exceptional,” said TCA Chairman and Searcy Specialized President Dan Doran. “Regardless of who may take home the grand prize award in March, each driver has made significant contributions to the industry and should be applauded for their efforts as they’re setting the finest example possible.”
Grand prize winners will be announced at TCA’s 81st Annual Convention at the Wynn Las Vegas Resort on Tuesday, March 12 during the annual Awards Banquet.
For more information on the Driver of the Year Contests, please visit www.truckload.org/DOY.
The Trucker News Staff produces engaging content for not only TheTrucker.com, but also The Trucker Newspaper, which has been serving the trucking industry for more than 30 years. With a focus on drivers, the Trucker News Staff aims to provide relevant, objective content pertaining to the trucking segment of the transportation industry. The Trucker News Staff is based in Little Rock, Arkansas.