“What makes the TCA Scholarship Fund so special is the fact that it is funded by the proud and generous people of the trucking industry,” Fund Chairman and American Central Transport’s Sr. Vice President Bob Kretsinger said. “Whether it’s through fundraisers, company and/or individual donations, the fund has been awarding scholarships for nearly 50 years. This year we had a record number of applications, yet we were still able to award nearly 25% of all applicants with a scholarship.”
Since 1973, the fund has been providing scholarships to students whose families are associated with the trucking industry. Each scholarship recipient must be a student in good standing attending a four-year college or university and must be associated with a TCA member company as an employee, independent contractor, or the child, grandchild or spouse of an employee or independent contractor of a TCA member company.
The fund awards its scholarships without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability or genetic information.
Again this year, the Ohio Foundation of Independent Colleges (OFIC) managed the application process. A selection committee, established by OFIC, scored the applicants, taking into considering the applicants’ GPA, major, extracurricular activities, hours worked and more.
This school year, 19 high school seniors, 15 college freshman, 11 college sophomores, seven college juniors and three college seniors were awarded scholarships totaling more than $160,000.
Recipients span across the United States and Canada, with Wisconsin leading the way with eight recipients.
Additionally, TCA is announcing a new, fully-endowed Past Chairmen’s Fund scholarship — the Tom Kretsinger, Jr. Scholarship. Kretsinger served as TCA’s Chairman from 2013-14.
For a TCA past chairman to have a fully endowed scholarship in their name, their Past Chairmen’s Fund is required to receive $50,000 in donations.
The inaugural recipient of the scholarship, in the amount of $3,250, is Anthony Ciraulo, whose father works at Werner Enterprises based in Omaha, Nebraska. Ciraulo will be a college senior at Saint Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa, and is majoring in accounting.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
NAIT Scholarship – $6,250
John Kaburick Scholarship – $4,500
Brown Trucking Company
Kai Norris Scholarship – $3,250
Cargo Transporters, Inc.
Darrel Clark Wilson III Scholarship – $3,250
Dutch Maid Logistics
Thomas Welby Scholarship – $3,250
deBoer Transportation, Inc.
Stoney Reese Stubbs Scholarship – $3,250
Robert Low Scholarship – $3,250
Robert D. Penner Scholarship – $3,250
Thomas R. Schilli Scholarship – $3,250
Thomas R. Schilli Scholarship – $3,250
Load One, LLC
Keith Tuttle Scholarship – $3,250
Tom Kretsinger, Jr. Scholarship – $3,250
The following have been awarded $2,725 for the 2022-23 school year:
- Elizabeth Wilhelm — Hirschbach Motor Lines
- Toby Plattner — Nussbaum Transportation
- Parker Litterick — Warren Transport, Inc.
- Jack Thompson — Cheema Freightlines, LLC
- Jocelyn Calderon — Whiteline Express, Ltd.
- Isabella Makowske – Dart Transit Company
- Olivia Thompson — Cheema Freightlines, LLC
- Keylan Newton — Covenant Transport Services
- Megan Rogers — Don Hummer Trucking Corp.
- Martina Tolhurst — Bison Transport
- Isabella McDaniel — Buchanan Hauling & Rigging
- Emily Dudaitis — E and V Services, Inc.
- Annika Waltenberg — H.O. Wolding
- Chase Forwerck — Keller Logistics, LLC
- Nicholas Farrell — Load One, LLC
- Jack Rogers — Don Hummer Trucking Corp.
- Chloe Smith — Barber Trucking, Inc.
- Courtney Street — Wilson Logistics
- Tanner Nelson — Bay & Bay
- Skyler Seybold — Prime Inc.
- Kylie Woods — Woods Transportation LLC
- Alyssa Kirsling — H.O. Wolding
- Nathan Stice — CFI
- Rylee Deckard — Prime Inc.
- Natalie Houser — Daseke – Boyd Bros Transportation Inc.
- Mason Jenkins — Doug Andrus Distributing LLC
- Andrew Goble — DMC Insurance
- Victoria Freeman — U.S. Xpress, Inc.
- Jacob Moore — Covenant Logistics
- Molly Nugent — R.E. Garrison Trucking
- James Floyd — KLLM Transport Services
- Kaden Buatte — Prime Inc.
- Genesis Drake — Cargo Transporters, Inc.
- Kelsey Fullenkamp — Whiteline Express, Ltd.
- Eva Whang — Veriha Trucking
- Ariel Swerlein — Classic Carriers, Inc.
- Kylie Wenger — Wilson Logistics
- Jaida Ndungu — USA Truck, Inc.
- Seth Bose — K & J Trucking
- Theresa Stephens — McLeod Software
- Kelsey McGaughey — PGT Trucking, Inc.
- Jackson Smith — Arctic Express
- Benay Taylor — Prime Inc.
TCA officials said they congratulate this year’s recipients. To learn more about the TCA Scholarship Fund, or for information on how you can donate to the Past Chairmen’s Fund, visit www.truckload.org/scholarships.
The Trucker News Staff produces engaging content for not only TheTrucker.com, but also The Trucker Newspaper, which has been serving the trucking industry for more than 30 years. With a focus on drivers, the Trucker News Staff aims to provide relevant, objective content pertaining to the trucking segment of the transportation industry. The Trucker News Staff is based in Little Rock, Arkansas.